Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Theological Foundation of Preaching or What is Preaching?

Now that my paper is safely in the hands of my professor, I feel like I can ask this question of you all:

What does it mean to preach? Where to we derive our authority for preaching? What's our theological context for preaching? In essence...what is preaching?

I'm truly interested in hearing what you have to say before I post my own reflections on this. I had to write 5 pages, double-spaced, but I won't hold you to that same standard. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not primarily a preacher, but I think that to preach is to make oneself available for the Spirit of God to speak through. Preachers are more than just conduits, however. The more prepared, thoughtful, prayerful, and focused a preacher is, the more opportunity God has to speak to individuals through what the preacher has to say. Sometimes I am amazed and awed by a sermon. Other times, what the preacher says sends me off in an unexpected reflection that may appear to be only loosely related to the sermon. I do believe that during those times, however, God is speaking to me through the proclamation. Hope this makes sense.

Melissa Yosua-Davis said...

Thanks for your comment!